Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Crescent Order Forum Index -> The Commons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theofrid
Councilor

re: TCO, ESO, Theofrid, Rannon

I’m pleased to announce that a former TCO:LotRO superstar, Rannon, has joined TCO’s ranks in Elder Scrolls Online, thereby doubling that branch’s size. (Previous population: Me.)

I’d like to leverage this unanticipated growth spurt by mentioning that ESO is a really well-made game with no subscription required (details below). If anyone else from TCO wants to try it out, shoot me a message in-game (or leave an IM here at the forums) and I’ll see to it that you get kinned guilded.

I’ll post more information below. But first: A screenshot!

This is Rannon’s nighblade, left, and Theo’s orc Templar, right.

Councilor

First thing to note about Elder Scrolls Online is that it's a buy-to-play game. That's like free-to-play (there's no monthly subscription required), but with two big differences:

• With buy-to-play, you do have to buy the game to start playing.
  • But after purchase, you have no restrictions on your account. Even if you don't subscribe.

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the differences:

Play Type

Free-to-Play

Buy-to-Play

Examples  LotRO, SWTOR, WildStar Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2
 Game Cost  $0 (free) $40
 Subscription?  Optional Optional

Restrictions on non-subscribers?

Typically, major restrictions on character slots, auction slots, zone/quest availability, etc No restrictions on non-subscribers
 Bonuses for subscribers?

-Removal of F2P restrictions

-Store currency

-Various buffs to XP, in-game currency, crafting, etc

-DLC available free

-Store currency

-Various buffs to XP, in-game currency, crafting, etc

Expansion Content (DLC)  Yes purchase required Yes, free for subscribers or can be purchased by non-subscribers

Councilor

I've mostly played solo and with small pick-up groups, so I can't really speak to ESO's raid content. But I've tried just about everything else in the game, including PvP, and here are the major highlights:

• Extremely flexible skill system -- any class can wield any weapon and wear any type of armor.
  • Compelling, well-written "main story" as you level up
  • Good small-group content in each zone, and an abundance of small-group content at the end-game.
  • PvP in one zone only (no ganking)
  • (Although, for PvPers, that one zone is huuuuge. And the PvP system is very well-thought-out.)
  • "Justice System" allows your character to burgle and steal from NPC's, if you are so inclined. (But it's not without risk.)
  • The recent expansion has been well-received, and another expansion is coming in November.

With those as main features, there are some smaller, but noteworthy, high points as well:

• Dynamic combat -- watch your opponent and react to his actions for better results. (This was annoying until I learned the basics; then it became awesome.)
  • The game world is just gorgeous. Seriously well-done world-building here.
  • There are no quests that ask you to "Kill [X] number of [random beasts]." Every quest is a story, or part of a larger story.
  • Every quest is voiced -- no walls of text to read.
  • Character creation system is great -- lots of flexibility to create a unique look among the 10 races you can play.
  • Crafting system is well-designed and allows for some pretty impressive gear (and money-making opportunity)
  • I've seen almost no n00b-bashing in zone chat. The player base seems to be almost as mature as LotRO's was. (It's a different story in the PvP zone, of course, but that's PvP for ya.)

Councilor

We interrupt this thread to provide the following image of Theofrid with Werewolf Rannon.

Werewolf Rannon: You Wouldn't Like Him When He's Angry.

TCO Member

Been Having a ton of fun so far in this game, Was really glad to run into Theo. If you all are interested i would suggest trying ESO out. Its a great game in many ways. Best storytelling in any MMO out there IMHO. And the combat is really fun and active. Also the crafting is pretty fun as well. Also if any of you do end up playing and want to be a werewolf i can turn one person every seven days :) 

Glorck
TCO Member

I have a level 9ish orc named Glorck. I just started playing last weekend.

Nice! We need to get you in guild now! Also what faction did you end up picking??

Theofrid
Councilor

Glorck wrote:

I have a level 9ish orc named Glorck. I just started playing last weekend.

Well now you have to roll up an Argonian named Glargonian, or else I'll be sad.

Welcome to ESO! Got you friended and will send you a guild invite as soon as I see you online. (Rannon can invite too, if I'm not there.)

TCO Member

Theofrid wrote:

Well now you have to roll up an Argonian named Glargonian

Done.

I sent a friendvite to Rannon. I'm not sure if that's his character's name or not.

Yay Got Glorck in guild, was really fun hanging out with you and Theo!

Rannon
TCO Member

Hit Veteran Rank 2 the other night on one toon, really still enjoying it really immersive stories! looking forward to getting a group with some TCOers going soon I hope!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Crescent Order Forum Index -> The Commons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum